


It was very difficult to decide which pictures to put up from my trip to New York! As everyone knows the architecture is amazing and your neck gets alot of use in this vertical city. I loved the huge variation of architecture between the different districts, it was so much more extreme than London, from the cast iron structure covering everything in Soho to the skyscrapers and use of glass in the financial district. Also found it interesting that alot of advertising was painted directly onto the building facade - which meant you were influenced by the building and its material as well as the advert.
New York is a very inward facing city. Everything focuses towards the centre (ie central park) which seemed very weird to me, the last picture is an example of what most of the water front looks like, I assumed they would of taken advantage of being surrounded by water but instead the city seems to turn its back on it! After being used to the UK and its love for anything facing water I suppose it just confused my eurocentric mind....
No comments:
Post a Comment